 FOUR HOURS Originally uploaded by vabeachgrl16. The other night, Meghann and her sister had a housewarming/birthday party at their "old" new house....What I mean by that is the family first moved to this house; they moved bought a new house...years later her older brother and Christian rent out the house and after Chris getting married and Christian moving out, the sisters now have the house.
Anyway, as my way of saying congrats/happy birthday, I decided to bake them a cake. I got a cake decorating set for Christmas and I didn't have luck with it the first time I tried to make one. So this time I went all out considering I wanted to make it nice for all of these people coming over!
Details: It was three layers, vanilla flavor. I had major issues with icing though. And almost the dog. I started off by adding the buttercream icing that I made from a box. It was pretty good, yet it was starting to get extremely thick, and I could hardly smooth it out over the cake; actually it was just about tearing it apart. So I just used it as the "cement" to keep the layers together. I went to plan B and got a can of Duncan Hines icing. Thought I was doing ok, until I ran out of that stuf from doing the sides. This cake was bigger than I thought it was going to be, so my supply of icing was getting scarce...then comes plan C:
Paul thought of the great idea to make icing from scratch. Since he's getting married, they put the Cuisinart on their registry and he hasn't stopped using it. So we tried the idea of making homemade icing. It came out better than I thought! The entire cake was covered...so three types of icing!!!
But I was about to strangle Rudy the dog when I saw his paws get up on that table and practically take a bite out of the side of the cake....very close.
The remaining buttercream icing was not to be wasted, so I ended up dying that blue and purple. Therefore adding the dots, letters, balloons, and "string" on the borders.
I was afraid of the outcome because while I was preparing this cake, the icing was starting to sweat. So I put it in the refrigerator overnight till that evening. And you know how cake usually tastes after staying in a cold fridge...not so great. But people took a bite and amazingly it was very soft and moist! I got a lot of compliments, and within 2 hours the cake was gone. Sorry folks, so if you didn't come to the party, you missed out...that thing was DAMN good. I'm really proud of myself!
|