| Tuesday, September 13, 2005 |
| What's in a word? |
So today I looked up on the online dictionary for this word:
Friend, n.
a person you know well and regard with affection and trust. a person with whom you are acquainted
...also in Wikipedia:
"Individuals in a friendship relationship will generally welcome each other's company and often exhibit mutually helping behavior. Friendship is generally considered to be a closer personal relationship than an acquaintanceship, although there are a range of 'degrees of intimacy' in both friendships and acquaintances. For most people, there is an overlap between friends and acquaintances."
Why am I bringing this up? I thought I would have a better definition of what it really means. The last month I have been trying to explain this definition to someone. I won't call them out, because I don't think it's right to blast someone on the internet. But we had a conversation about this; about what it takes to be a friend, and how to be a good friend to someone. This person thinks they are doing just that, I totally disagree.
So to those out there, when you say you have someone as their friend, please make sure you read the definition correctly before you consider them as your friend :) |
posted by Janel @ 1:40 PM   |
|
|
|
|
|