| Sunday, July 09, 2006 |
| Sailing takes me away from where I've always heard it could be |
Yesterday I tried something that I thought I would never do. Especially since I'm not a fan of the water...yes, it's the truth. I lived out by the beach here for practically all of my life and I could probably count how many times I went to the beach to swim...it's very rare. If I don't swim* I'm obviously not going out there to get a tan. Anyway, Christian invited me to try sailing with him and a guy who works with him (Bob). I think the first few minutes just out there I kept thinking, "I'm not going to make it". I remember the last time I was out in the water fishing I ended up with dry heaves for an hour because of the smell of fish and salt water. You think I would survive this?!?!
*swim: pretty much treading water. My parents didn't get me into swimming or any pools until almost junior high. And the lessons I took sucked. So now I'm not the greatest swimmer in the world...I 'tread'. That sucks.
Bob the owner, very nice guy, but Christian and I found it absolutely funny that he got my name wrong; kept calling me Janene. Understandable after the first time, but he ended up calling me Janene the just about the whole trip. We tried making it a hint what my name was, but since that wasn't working I said screw it, I have a new first name! Anyway, after the first hour I wasn't doing so bad. The sun wasn't out so it wasn't beating out on me. But after that hour was over, I thought I was going to be sick. I didn't feel that I was going to puke, but slightly dizzy. But I thought that I was going to be a trooper and stick it out. The bad part to this sailing trip was that there wasn't a lot of wind...so we were going a lot slower and there were moments where we at a stand still. Eventually the rocking would rock me to sleep. Yep, I think I fell asleep three or four times. The last time I woke myself up from my snoring...how embarassing. The trip lasted almost six hours. After I got home, I still felt like I was on the boat; or I got sea legs. Going out with a few friends afterwards was sort of a bad idea. Having a drink made things worse.
I'm still contemplating whether or not to go again although I did have fun. I didn't get the experience of where we were going fast or going at an angle. It's definitely something I need to think about. |
posted by Janel @ 9:50 PM   |
|
| 1 Comments: |
-
Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP » »
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
» »