| Monday, July 31, 2006 |
| Did your mother teach you that it's not polite to stare?!?! |
Ok, before getting to the highlights of my vacation (which by the way was 85% exciting...the other 15 explained here), I had an awful experience at Six Flags Great America. No, it wasn't the long lines, it wasn't the bad customer service (well the CS was pretty shitty after this)....it was the heat.
Christian and I left for NJ a little after lunch and headed to the park to have some fun and check out some pretty cool rides. We all know that this summer has been a hot one...so leaving after the hot part of the day was the best solution to go to this place. We went to the park prepared, we even got lunch promptly before... As soon as we walked in, the first ride we saw working was Batman. The line wasn't really terrible; it didn't really have a bad "Mickey Mouse Line". But it was not really moving. The first 15 minutes we were standing in the sun. I was starting to bake and sweat...not a good thing. As soon as we started moving, a girl behind me sat down on the curb and started getting short of breath, yelling to her friends that she wasn't feeling good. As I heard her, I thought that "man I'm glad that wasn't me..."
Sometimes I need to keep my big mouth shut.
10 minutes later, we're under this awning and there's tons of people talking and body heat everywhere. Although the shade dropped the temperature a few degrees, it still felt hot. I ended up getting a little dizzy...
...then my hearing started to get muffled..."Christian...I want to go...now it's too hot"
...I'm going under one chain...under another...the vision gets blurry...shit.
I fainted. I passed out right in front of a crowd. Totally out of nowhere. Luckily there was a nurse and a lifeguard in line so they were very quick with helping Christian with me. A minute later I wake up and the first thing I say is "I fell down?" I'm sitting on the ground with a wet t-shirt around my neck and people asking if I'm ok. I can barely squeeze this girl's hands. Five minutes later, a park official/supervisor whatever the hell he was, came over to us and was just standing there. He asked me if I was ok like I thought I was going to get up and slap a lawsuit on him. All this time while I'm waiting for an EMT kids...staring...hard. Did I have something on my face? Did I puke all over the place? I mean really...have some common courtesy and etiquette. Anyway, after being moved to another part of the park away from the staring crowd, I'm waiting another 15 minutes for someone to take me to first aid. When I finally get there, Christian makes me take a brief nap. After a good 45 minutes to an hour of resting, the guys take me to my car so we leave. Not even a moment through my head if I can get a pass to come back, or get a refund...
I have been through many experiences of standing out in the heat for many periods of time. Hell when I was in band in high school, we would be in the direct sun in the middle of August from 8am-5pm for two weeks at a time...I can't believe 30 minutes into standing around outside got me that ill. I was pissed. Yes, it could have been worse and I could have screwed up my vacation and made it a permanent one (!) but I was still upset over the whole experiment.
But I'm thankful from the help from those two people and Christian. I'm very thankful for their help.
|
posted by Janel @ 5:31 PM   |
|
|
|
|
|